(This page uses CSS2 style sheets optimized for color computer screens and JavaScript active scripting. If this message does not disappear, the intended layout and content cannot be displayed by your browser/device or it is not configured to do so.)

Mercury-Free Dentistry

According to Lars Frieberg, M.D., Ph.D., former head of toxicology of the World Health Organization, Silver mercury amalgam fillings are the largest source of mercury exposure in the world wide population. Amalgam fillings contain 50% of liquid elemental MERCURY, 2 % Copper, 13% Tin, Zinc, 35% Silver and occasionally Thallium & Germanium. Mercury is an acute neuro-toxin. It is the most toxic non-radioactive element and the most volatile heavy metal.

Mercury Toxicity in humans can take a variety of forms. Mercury accumulates in nerve cells – those that run throughout the body (peripheral), those of the spinal cord and brain (central), and in organs and glands such as the kidney and the thyroid. As the body detoxifies itself from mercury, it pushes it out through the various bodily excretions. This includes hair, exhaled air, urine, feces, sweat and milk (nursing mother). The damage it causes depends on where it accumulates and to what extent the person’s body is able to detoxify and excrete it.

The most common symptoms of mercury toxicity in the peripheral nervous system are numbness, tingling, tremors in the fingers or toes and weakness of the limbs. The most common symptoms of mercury toxicity in the central nervous system are an inability to concentrate or form coherent thoughts, depression, blurred vision, and all forms of nervous instability. These include mood swings, insomnia, irritability, anxiety, paranoia and the development of social phobias. Other common symptoms of mercury toxicity include a metallic taste, bad breath, loose gums or gum disease, trembling tongue, mouth ulcers or sores, loose teeth, and excessive salivation. Skin symptoms include ulcers, eruptions, skin rashes and eczema like patches.

Allow us to share more significant findings and other remarkable data:

  • The mercury in the fillings is volatile, such that poisonous vapors are constantly being emitted from the fillings, more so when one chews or passes hot liquid over the teeth. The Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry of the United States Public Health Service reports that poisonous vapors go straight to the brain and kidneys. For the developing child’s brain, a major health risk exists.
  • The government of Canada recommended back in 1996 that dentists not place these fillings in mouths of children and pregnant women. The 1999 report on Mercury by the Agency for Toxic Substance & Disease Registry says Mercury Passes through the placenta into the developing child’s brain.
  • In the United States, Mercury has been, or is being removed from all health care uses. Antibiotics have replaced oral doses of Mercury. In recent years, the American Public Health Association, The California Medical Association and Health Care Without Harm have all called for the elimination of putting any Mercury in the Human Body.

Our clinic doesn’t use dental amalgam as a dental filling material thereby eliminating problems associated with the manufacturer and the disposal of mercury in the environment, and with problems associated with the potentials of mercury toxicity.

Source: www.iaomt.org